Monday, August 14, 2006

welding a bumper

How to weld a Jeep bumper

When I decided to build an off road Jeep I knew I would be welding a bumper. The stock bumpers just won't do off road.

I made mine to be simple and functional not worring too much about what it looked like.

I used some 3x3 square tubing I had laying around. I cut it to length and made two bends to match the contours of the front of my Jeep. I made these two bends by making samll cuts in the short side then welding a bumper back together. I made the frame mount brackets out of more of the same tubing that I opened up and drilled to match the holes in the frame.

I added a reciver tube to the bottom of the bumper to make a palce to hold my winch. The tube also makes a handy mounting pint for a variety of farm tools.

My welded bumper is strong, light and functional. You can see pictures on my cheap Jeep page.

If you want to see welding a bumper that is an art from see Marcus Ohms page at http://go.jeep-xj.info He took a discarded ARB bumper and welded it into a beautiful and functional bumper for his Jeep.

So cheap and functional or a work of art, welding a bumper is the way to get what you want to protect the ends of your Jeep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home